Saunders Supply Company, Inc., can trace its roots back to B.W. Godwin Lumber company at our original site in the village of Chuckatuck, Virginia. Mr. Godwin operated a sawmill, cotton gin and gristmill. Around 1930 the sawmill and lumberyard suffered a fire and several years later the site was bought by W.G. Saunders, Jr. who started to trade as Saunders Supply Company. In 1946 T.A. Saunders, Jr. and P.D. Howell, Jr. came out of the U.S. Merchant Marine and began working for W.G. Saunders. They subsequently bought his interest and continued to operate the logging, sawmilling, and planing operation under the same trade name. The business was operated at the same location until we bought the old Chuckatuck High School site in 1981 and moved our sales and offices there in 1982. The old site is still our bulk lumber storage. Today the second generation of the same two families operate Saunders Supply Company, Inc., as a full service building supplier serving the greater Tidewater area.
Copyright © 2020 Saunders Supply Company, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.